The history of the Mahone Bay Baptist Church, as an independent organization, dates from June 2nd, 1907, when following the Sunday Service, 162 members who comprised the Mahone Bay branch of the Northwest and Mahone Bay Church requested their letters of dismissal in order to form the Mahone Bay United Baptist Church.

Baptists began holding regular services in Mahone Day as early as 1833 when they used the Harmony Meeting House built in 1833-1834 which had been built as a cooperative undertaking by the Methodists, Presbyterians, Lutherans and Baptists and was managed by trustees from all four denominations. When that building became too small, services were held in a hall owned by Joseph Hamm located on South Main Street.

In 1874 the Baptists decided to erect their own building and Kenney, Haley and Company of Yarmouth, Nova Scotia were hired to built the Baptist Church. Construction was completed in 1875 and the Church was dedicated on March 14, 1875. Rev. E. M. Saunders, one of the better known historians of the denomination, preached the dedication sermon.

In 1911, during the pastorate of Rev. B. D. Knott, the present church hall was added to serve the needs of the congregation and to provide facilities for the Sunday School which had been organized in 1869.

Now known as United Baptist Church, Mahone Bay, the building is an excellent example of the spiritual expression that can be achieved by Gothic Revival construction. Its slender spire, visible for miles, gleams white against the sky. Every feature, from the narrow peaked windows to the small corner spires, lifts the eye skyward.

United Baptist Church, Mahone Bay remains in regular use. The congregation collaborates with other churches in Mahone Bay to hold four ecumenical services annually, and to share resources and outreach projects such as the Food Bank.

The character-defining elements of the church, relate to all the details of Gothic Revival ecclesiastical architecture including:
– post and beam construction;
– steeply pitched roof;
– slender steeple;
– narrow Gothic arched windows;
– burnished yellow glazing in upper sections of Gothic
windows;
– narrow three-bay front façade;
– central front door with transom;
– three-arched window above main entry;
– label moldings around top and upper sides of windows;
– fretwork on fascia at roof lines;
– corner boards and pilasters topped with small slender spires;
– interior features such as box pews, woodwork of black ash, chestnut and teak, label moldings, and original oil wall sconces.

1907-1917 Brice D Knott
1918-1918 J. W. Balcom
1918-1919 F. G. Francis
1919-1920 Spurgeon Hirtle
1920-1922 I. W. Ideson
1922-1927 John R. MacGorman
1927-1929 Elbert Paul
1929-1931 A. W. Adams
1931-1934 Byron G Linton
1935-1937 R. H. MacFarlane
1938-1940 C. E. Rockingham
1940-1945 George P Allen
1945-1950 George E Huestis
1950-1954 F. R. Doleman
1954-1958 Kenneth L Thompson
1958-1960 Leland O. MacDormand
1960-1962 Leon B. Wright
1962-1974 Eric A. Miner
1974-1982 John E. Boyd
1982-1983 Hazen Parent
1983-1989 Dale Rose
1990-1996 Andrew Crowell
1996-1999 Barbara & Brad Putman
2000-2003 Arron Kenny
2003-2004 Jennifer Smart
2009-present Sherrolyn Riley